Today I introduced you to your new best friend: The Media Triangle. We looked at its three sides – text, audience and production – and did some ad analysis using it as our guide.
Secondly, I gave you the first of what will be about 3 to 4 journal entries for this term. I was about icons. Remeber, an icon is something in the media (a person, a product, a film, etc) that reaches a level of super status where it is recognized world wide and remains that way for a long time. Some examples are Barbie, Madonna, and McDonalds.
Here are your first journal entry questions:
- What qualities does it take for something/someone to reach icon status?
- What did you think of the devoted fans in the Barbie video we watched the other week? Is it strange or understandable? Fun or unhealthy?
- Do you think there is a person/product today that may reach icon status in the future?
Remember what a journal entry should look like:
- In a journal booklet
- Written by hand, not typed and attached to your journal
- 3/4 a page to a full page, single-spaced
- You don’t have to answer all the questions. If you can write a whole entry based on only one question, that’s fine.
Good luck and keep on keepin’ on,
Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth – Henry David Thoreau